Seems like almost everyone has a blog these days. It has become so popular because of its accessibility. Most of the people think that starting a blog is very difficult and one needs to have technical knowledge. Believe me, even a non-technical guy can create a website in 30 minutes. I will explain How To Build a WordPress Website from Scratch and it’s that easy. All you need to do is follow some steps, do some settings after installation and you are done. Your website will be up and running. Sounds easy right? Let’s get started then.
WordPress is the most popular website management system which can be used to create a website and it’s one of the easiest and most powerful blogging platforms.
There are two variations in WordPress. WordPress.com and WordPress.org. If you want to know the difference then refer https://connecttoblog.com/what-is-the-difference-between-wordpress-com-and-wordpress-org/.
To start with you need to have two things ready.
- Web Hosting: If you don’t have a web host, you won’t be able to set up a blog. Web hosting is the service that makes your website available to be viewed by others on the Internet This is where website resides on the internet. I recommend Bluehost and even WordPress.org recommends Bluehost.
- Domain name for your blog: For example in my case its connecttoblog.com (Refer https://connecttoblog.com/tips-for-picking-a-great-domain-name-for-your-blog/ to pick a great domain name for your blog )
Let’s get started with the Bluehost web hosting. click on Get Started Now button to get started.
After that select the plan that you need.
Bluehost offers 3 different shared hosting packages.
- Basic: This is the cheapest shared hosting package and it allows to host only one website, offers 50 GB bandwidth/month. You can have only 5 email accounts. This package is good for you when you are planning to host only one website.
- Plus: This is one of the popular package. It offers Unlimited domain hosting, packed domains, sub-domains, free marketing coupons worth $200 and 1 free domain. Plus package is what I recommend. The price for this package is $5.95/month. If you are serious about bogging, then go for plus package. It’s the best deal and most noteworthy.
- Prime: This package offers almost the same as plus package. Cost is bit more than the plus package. It gives you one extra domain privacy and site backup pro. But it’s not actually required. If you need dedicated I.P & who.is guard then go for Prime.
After selecting the plan, you will be asked to enter the domain name for your website. Hope you are ready with your domain name. And no need to spend extra on the domain name as you get a free domain with your package from Bluehost hosting. If you already have a domain name then enter your domain name in the second column that is in the “I have a domain name” section and you can always use free domain later also.
Complete your registration by providing account information. You need to enter your details like name, email address, address, etc. Verify every detail especially your email address, as you will get your login and hosting information to your email address.
The next part is package information. You need to choose the account plan. It’s better to pick a hosting package for a 24 or 36-month term, as you will notice the decrease in price as the length of service increases.
Deselect the option “Site Backup Pro” ,”SiteLock Security – Find”,”Codeguard basic”, “Comodo PositiveSSL Bundle” as you don’t need them. You can anytime add services from your dashboard later.
The last part is just your billing info. If you want to pay with PayPal, click the “Pay with PayPal” option.
Next you will get a confirmation for your hosting purchase, and you will see a screen like below
Click on create your password. You can create a complex password yourself or use their password generator. I recommend using a password generator as it will be hard to guess. Don’t forget to copy the password when you create it because you won’t get in email.
After creating a password, you will get the congratulations message like below.
Pick the theme that is relevant to your niche.
In the WP login page, click start building or Visit Bluehost.com and click on hosting login.
Choose the option which is relevant to you.
Click on “Marketplace” on the next page. From there, choose “Install WordPress”.
Now, select the domain on which you want to install WordPress. This is the domain where you want your website to be. Here you can decide whether you want www or non-www URL. I personally prefer shorter URL’s so I kept without www. After choosing, Click on “Next”.
Furthermore enter your Site Name, username, and a password for your site. Check all the checkboxes and then click Install. Once WordPress is finished installing, you will see Installation complete message on top. An email will be sent to the registered email address with login details.
Congratulations, you have created your WordPress site and your blog is up & running.
Now go to bluehost home page.
Now, launch your new website.
Now, you will be directed to Bluehost Cpanel.
Some settings need to be done in order to manage the site.
Posts > All Posts and delete the default “Hello world”post and add a category as well. Posts > Categories
Pages > All Pages, delete the default “Sample Page”
Settings > Permalink and select “Post Name”, Click on “Save”.
Settings > General
Settings > Writing
Settings > Reading
Settings > Discussion
Settings > Media
Install WordPress plugins
Click on Plugin > Add New > Upload Plugin , browse for the .zip file and install the plugin . Click on “Activate Plugin” or you can directly upload from the list.
Install WordPress theme
Choose a theme that makes your blog look the way you want.
Now, you can start creating your blog posts.
Posts > Add New. write your first blog post. Once you’re done writing, click on the Publish button on the right to publish your first blog post.
I hope this guide helped you to start a WordPress blog. If you have any queries let me know in the comment section below.
Happy Blogging 🙂